Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service have provided this simple safety guide for anyone celebrating Bonfire Night this week.
- Build bonfires away from houses, sheds, fences etc.
- Never use flammable liquids like paraffin or petrol to light the fire
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby
- Don’t leave the bonfire unattended
- Keep children and pets away
We would always recommend attending an organised bonfire or firework display, but if you do host your own…
- You must be 18 years or over to buy and set off fireworks
- Store fireworks in a closed box and take them out one at a time
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light fireworks at arm’s length, using the taper provided
- Never go back to a lit firework – even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode!
- Don’t drink alcohol if responsible for setting off fireworks
- Only buy fireworks which carry a CE mark.