Nut-Free School

St Matthew’s Primary School is a
NUT-FREE SCHOOL

People who suffer from nut allergies can develop a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

If someone has a nut allergy it is not just eating nuts that can cause a severe reaction, just being touched on the skin or smelling the breath of someone who has had nuts or a product containing nuts can trigger an allergic reaction which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties.

First aid staff in the school are trained to use Epi-pens (an injection of adrenalin) which are required immediately if this happens.

We cannot have nuts in school in any form.

So please do not put any nut products in your child’s lunch box.

The following items must not be included in children’s packed lunches:

We also cannot allow children to share tubs of Celebrations sweets with their classmates on their birthdays as these include peanuts, hazelnuts and coconuts in some of the selection.

There are many other products that can present a risk, so please check the packaging of products closely.

We appreciate that this is an additional thing to check but we know that you recognise the importance of it.

We do have to insist we are a
NUT-FREE SCHOOL

If it were your child affected, you would expect that we all help, especially as it can be a life-threatening condition.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff.